Are you ready to start KETO eating but need a grocery list for your first week? What do you need, What do you want? This is a transition week.
You will need to stay comfortably full all the time while you are detoxing your body of the sugar. Purchase Keto friendly foods that you enjoy and will be drawn to.
Staples, foods that may last more than a week, but ones that you will reach for consistently. Remember it is critical to always check the package ingredients. Some Butter has sugar, some creamed cheeses have sugar, even some garlic powders have sugar. You just cannot trust the knowledge you thought you knew. We’ve been lied to for years. Check your ingredients.
Avoid, unhealthy oils like vegetable oil, soy oil, corn oils, sugars come in many forms and names. These are some of the most common: dextrose, brown sugar, cane crystals, cane sugar, corn sweetener, corn syrup, corn syrup solids, crystal dextrose, evaporated cane juice, fructose sweetener, fruit juice concentrates, high-fructose corn syrup, honey, liquid fructose, malt syrup, maple syrup, molasses, pancake syrup, raw sugar, sugar, syrup and white sugar, fructose, lactose and maltose. Fructose has been processed from fruit and vegetables; lactose from milk sugar; and maltose is sugar that comes from grain. These are all sugars and will spike your insulin, raising blood sugar and defeating your purpose.
Some sweeteners that won’t spike insulin, but are to be used in moderation are: Stevia, Erythritol, Monk-fruit and Xylitol. BE EDUCATED… Xylitol, although an acceptable sugar alcohol sugar, is very TOXIC to dogs. Do not allow them to finish your dessert. Common products of this nature can be found at your local store or Amazon among other places. Liquid stevia comes in many flavors, all without the insulin spike. Swerve which is a mixture of stevia and Erythritol is another tried and true. You can also purchase Erythritol itself. Confectioners sugar (powdered Swerve) is known to dissolve better in recipes and is sometimes preferred. Unfortunately, just because it says stevia sweetened, doesn’t mean they did add other sugar also. READ READ READ.
Try to purchase clean products. The fewer ingredients the better. Example, Philly Cream cheese is famous for minimal ingredients. Some value brands are just as good, but many are not. Also Avoid those chemicals no one can pronounce.
Remember as you BEGIN Keto, you will be converting from sugar fueling to FAT fueling. This is a process and you can take steps to minimize the symptoms. Visit this page to give you lots of info. http://ketorecipesforbeginners.com/keto-where-do-i-start/
What to buy to get ready. Remember, all of this is preferential.
If you don’t like it and don’t want to eat it… DON’T. Everyone eats different. You are focusing on healthy proteins and fats. And lots of them. So if onions make you gag, don’t buy them. Capisce?
These have remained My staples and regular go-to items.
Grocery List for 1st Week
- Quality Coconut Oil in a jar.
- Quality REAL butter
- Sour cream
- Cream cheese
- Full Fat cheeses
- Avocados – 2 or 3 (I usually ALWAYS eat at least ½ a day)
- Enough meat to last a week – hamburger 80/20, steak, chicken, pork, canned meat, i.e., tuna Your preference. If you get canned stuff, be sure to …… you guessed it, check the ingredients.
- Eggs (2 doz – One to boil for snacks and one for cooking meals)
- Cheese, whatever kind you like. Grated brands have some additives.
- Zucchini Squash
- Spinach – I prefer frozen unless I have a specific plan, it lasts longer
- Salad Makins’, (leave off the crotons and stick with a darker greens mix)
- A salad dressing or mayo that is Keto friendly or use a recipe to create your own. Hidden valley ranch is fairly low carb without too many extras.
- Onions, garlic, preferred seasonings, basal, garlic powder, onion powder, bay seasonings, paprika
- Pork Rinds (traditional flavor has no bad ingredients)
These are not critical, especially for week one, however, I found these have become everyday items for me. I am linking these, and at NO EXTRA COST to you, if you purchase, I get a small commission as an affiliate.
A milk frothier for my fatty coffees and teas, an immersion blender for recipes and condiments, a digital scale and a good food processor.