Pecans are not given enough publicity. Pecans and Macadamias have more fat than any other nut, with about 20 grams per ounce of fat. However, they have lower protein than almonds or pistachios. Cashews taste so good, AND, they have 35 net carbs per cup and 24 protein grams while our pecans only have 4 net carbs per cup and 9 protein grams. Pecans have 1 net carb per oz and 2 1/2 grams of protein per ounce, making them the perfect high fat, low protein snack. Toasting them with more butter, makes my mouth water.
PREHEAT OVEN TO 275 degrees F.
- Melt butter in a saucepan or in the microwave, on low either way. Don’t boil the butter, only melt it.
- Add the sweetener and whisk until completely dissolved.
- Toss pecans in the butter, mixing well to coat all of them fully.
- Place a slice of parchment paper on a cookie sheet and spread the coated nuts onto paper leaving them in a single layer.
- Place in oven preheated to 275 degrees
- Cook for 45 minutes stirring every 15 minutes to ensure even cooking and no burning
- Take out of the oven and dump nuts onto a couple of paper towels if there is too much oil on the nuts.
- Salt immediately to your taste, while there is still a bit of wet oil on them to stick the salt.
- Then allow them to cool. After completely cool, you may store in air tight container.
- If they last long enough, these freeze very nicely.