How about a fresh bagel hot out of the oven. Add cream cheese or your favorite KETO topping and these little jewels become a transport for tuna, or chicken, or for sopping up that running egg yolk. You’ll love them.
[playbuzz-item item=”cad00b08-0c63-47b8-ba1a-9243eb5fa741″ format=”story”]
- 1 1/2 cup Almond flour
- 1 tbsp Rumsford Aluminum Free Baking powder
- 1 teas Chia Seeds (optional)
- 2 1/2 cup Mozzarella cheese (shredded)
- 2 oz Cream cheese (cubed)
- 2 large Eggs (beaten)
- Whole Sesame seeds (for topping – optional)
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Sift together the almond flour and baking powder. Set aside.
- Combine the shredded mozzarella and cubed cream cheese in a large bowl. Microwave for 2 minutes, stirring halfway through. Stir again at the end until well incorporated. (If you don’t want to use the microwave, heat the cheeses in a double broiler on the stove over low heat, stirring frequently, until completely melted and easy to stir.)
- Stir the flour mixture and eggs into the melted cheese mixture. Working quickly while the cheese is still hot, knead with your hands until a dough forms. The dough will be very sticky, but keep kneading and squeezing through your fingers for a few minutes. If the dough becomes hard before fully mixed, is too difficult to mix, or is still sticky after a couple minutes, you can microwave/reheat for 15-20 seconds to soften it. In that case, wash your hands and knead again.NOTE: It’s very important for the dough to be completely uniform before proceeding to the next step. You shouldn’t have pieces of cheese separate from areas of almond flour.UPDATE: To make it easier to mix the dough, you can use a food processor with a dough attachment instead of kneading by hand.
- Divide the dough into 6 parts. Form/roll a long log with each part, then press the ends together to make a bagel shape on the lined baking sheet. Repeat with the remaining dough. If using sesame seeds, sprinkle them over the bagels and gently press into the dough.
- Bake for 10-14 minutes, until the bagels are firm and golden.