Sesame, Hemp, Chia, Flax, or even Everything Bagel Seasoning. By topping your bread with seeds, you get the goodness of bread and the benefits of fiber. This recipe is high in fiber, it combines egg whites with psyllium husk powder (without the hulls!) to deliver a delicious crispy crust outside and a soft, moist inside. I like making this in round and rectangular pans. it makes great sandwich buns.
[playbuzz-item item=”cad00b08-0c63-47b8-ba1a-9243eb5fa741″ format=”story”]
I wasn’t aware until recently that Almond/Coconut flours (as well as all flours actually) are milled differently. So the volume of each is different. Bob’s Red Mill will weigh out differently than Anthony’s etc. if you are using dry measuring utensils. To make this perfectly, use a digital scale and weigh your ingredients.
- 5 oz Blanched super fine almond flour (about 1 1/2 cups) (or 1/2 cup coconut flour or 2.5 oz)
- 45 grams psyllium husk finely ground powder (not meal or whole husks) (about 5 tbs) 45 grams)
- 2 tsp Aluminum Free baking powder
- 1 tsp Himalayan sea salt
- 1 oz apple cider vinegar with the mother (2 1/2 tablespoons)
- 3 egg whites (6 egg whites if using coconut flour) (about 3.5 oz for almond flour option, 7 oz for coconut flour)
- 7oz (on a digital scale) BOILING water (go for exact on this, not 8 oz)
- 1-2 TSB of sesame seeds for bread topping
OPTION: Whole eggs may be used in this recipe, however, if you have trouble with it rising, use egg whites instead. The conversion would be 2 whole eggs for the almond flour recipe, and 4 whole eggs for the coconut flour. If your bread pops like a balloon when it comes out of the oven, reduce your baking powder by 1/2 teaspoon.
Preheat Oven to 350 Degrees F
Choose your baking pan, round or rectangle, this recipe describes baking a loaf, you may chose to do rolls, or sandwich buns. Lightly grease your baking pan with coconut oil or spray. NOTE: Keto breads tend to be a bit specific, weigh your ingredients digitally to ensure perfect bread.
- In a mixing bowl, combine flour, psyllium powder, baking powder, and salt.
- Mix the dry ingredients until well combined. (not a quick stir)
- Add in the eggs, vinegar and using a mixer, beat this until it becomes a thick doughy paste.
- WAIT UNTIL THAT IS MIXED BEFORE ADDING THE WATER. THIS IS IMPORTANT.
- Add boiling water into the bowl and continue to mix.
- Dough will look a bit weird, like wet play dough, but keep mixing until throughly blended.
- Grease your hands with a bit of coconut oil to handle your dough easily. Dough will lump together easily.
- You can now form your dough into a loaf for an 8×4 pan, or sandwich buns, hogie rolls or even sticky bread balls. For this recipe, we are forming a loaf.
- Pick up your entire blob of dough and and place into your prepared loaf pan.
- With a sharp knife, place a decorative slit or two on the loaf about 1/2 inch deep. Be creative, you can do a star fish like the picture, or slice it down the middle. The slits keep it from cracking and gives a pretty finished look.
- Press a small handful of Chia seeds (or sesame or, or , or) into the top of the loaf.
- Bake for 55 minutes. (if you chose to make rolls or buns, reduce your time to about 45-50 minutes)
- Remove from oven and allow the bread to cool completely.