It is always a good time for a quick and easy taco. Eating Keto, I thought I had to say goodbye to Tacos, and I hated that, because I love tacos. These shells are light and tasty and are strong enough to hold all your favorite ingredients. So at your next sport gathering, you now have something different to serve, and they will come back for seconds.
- 6 slices of provolone cheese (This also works with shredded blends)
- 1 lb ground beef
- 2 tbsp chopped onion
- 1 tbsp garlic powder
- 1 tbsp season salt
- 2 tbsp Teriyaki Coconut Aminos
- 2 tsp red pepper flakes
- 4 tbsp Cheese (or a blend of cheeses for queso)
- 1½ tbsp Newman’s Own Mild Salsa Mild Chunky
- 1 tbsp bacon grease or coconut oil
A whoopie pie pan is a muffin pan that has been designed shallow, only for the tops of the muffin. The cake-like whoopie pies were considered a special treat because they were originally made from leftover batter. According to Amish legend, when children would find these treats in their lunch bags, they would shout “Whoopie!”
Making your taco shells.
Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Fill bottom of whoopie pie pan cavities with Provolone cheese slices OR
- Use grated or shaved cheese for your crisps, use a baking pan with parchment paper on it.
- If you are using a baking pan and a shaved cheese, place about 2 tbls of cheese per crisp, spread out evenly (don’t mound it)
- Bake 10-12 minutes watching closely. They will be very bubbly and beginning to brown around the edges. Don’t overcook!
- Take out and allow to cool for just a minute or two, the crisp should be pliable but solidifying quickly.
- Carefully with a spatula, flip each crisp over a ramekin or small bowl to mold it into a taco bowl.
NOTE: (if this is too much trouble you can leave them flat and have tostados)
- Meanwhile brown ground beef, add onions and seasoning.
- Add a spoonful of meat onto each melted cheese shells
For the nacho cheese,
- Melt mozzarella and pepper jack and cheese in bowl,
- Add 1 ½ tbsp of Newman’s Own Mild Sugar free salsa
- 1 tbsp bacon grease (or butter).
- Add 1 teas of jalapeno pepper juice to the mixture.
- Microwave until melted, stir.
- Open and fill the tacos with the nacho sauce and lettuce, onions, olives or any other taco ingredients you like,
- Serve with sour cream and homemade guacamole.